Advanced Preoperative Assessment University CPD Accredited Module
Our University CPD accredited Advanced Preoperative Assessment Course is suitable for experienced Registered Nurses/Practitioners who are already experienced in Preoperative Assessment who wish to advance their knowledge and skills further. The Advanced Preoperative Assessment Skills accredited CPD module is a suitable adjunct to our foundation CPD module and covers the skills of heart & lung assessment, spirometry, echocardiogram and advanced ECG.
Our live classroom blended CPD module consists of 1 day of live teaching which will take place at 30 Euston Square, which is a prestigious venue in the heart of London and the headquarters of the Royal College of General Practitioners. Specialist Preoperative Assessment trainer Lee Wadsworth will be facilitating this course alongside Dr Nick Lavies, Consultant Anaesthetist who has co-authored evidenced-based guidelines for Preoperative Assessment. In addition to the live element you will 3 months access to our online resources to consolidate knowledge, followed by assessment of competencies in practice with your supervisor/mentor. Collectively these 3 elements have a clear focus high quality and safe clinical practice and are based on relevant evidence based clinical policies, guidelines and best practice.
For NMC Revalidation the module is equivalent to a minimum of 11 hours CPD (7 virtual, 4 online plus hours to complete competencies in practice. The course content uses a variety of teaching methods to ensure that the lessons are interesting and relevant to clinical practice. You will find unique expert live/video presentations plus relevant key resources. These learning materials are essential in meeting the learning outcomes and for completing the competence framework.
At the end of the online element of the course you will be asked to complete a self-assessment and an evaluation form. A certificate of completion will then be forwarded to you. You will then need to complete the competency framework with the support of a mentor/supervisor or competent colleagues within clinical practice. You are encouraged to include both the certificate, learning outcomes and the completed competency framework within your professional portfolio and your work based appraisal process as evidence of your continuing professional development.
- Understanding of the process of the Cardiovascular assessment i.e. Inspection & Auscultation
- Can recognise a heart murmur from audio initially and then an performing examination on actual patients in practice with the guidance of their mentor.
- Can differentiate between 2 heart sounds and 3 sounds on audio.
- Advancing knowledge of ECG interpretation using case studies.
- Gain some understanding of the echocardiogram interpretation including severity of valve abnormalities, left ventricular hypertrophy and assessing the ejection fraction.
- Gain an understanding of the process of Respiratory Assessment i.e. Inspection, Palpation & Auscultation
- Can recognise normal sounds from abnormal sounds i.e. crepitations, wheeze, rhonchi etc .
- An understanding of when it might be appropriate to request/perform spirometry in preoperative assessment.
- An understanding of ARTP regulation 2020 and its recommendations for assessing spirometry.
- An understanding of the terms lower limit of normal (LLN), upper limit of normal (ULN) and utilising Z-scores, in assessing the severity of an abnormality.
- Can differentiate between a normal result, obstructive & restrictive by assessing numbers, time volume curves and flow volume loops.