Meet the Team
We are a dedicated team at A & L Healthcare Training & Consultancy, we have extensive experience in the development of health and care staff within the UK and worldwide. This is reflected in our extensive and prestigious Client List.
Throughout our extensive nursing careers, and especially over the past 17 years, we have endeavoured to truly inspire health and care staff to deliver the very best evidenced based care.
Our professional philosophy is firmly focused on supporting you as a learner to gain the confidence and skills you need to realise your full potential. This enhances your clinical practice, develops your career and opens up professional opportunities.
Lee Wadsworth RGN MSc V300
Lee qualified as an RGN in 1988. His early years were spent working within general medicine, A&E and intensive units in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.
In 1998 Lee trained as a Nurse Practitioner and at the same time developed a Preoperative assessment service in the UK. He developed this role successfully which resulted in a service expansion and the training of further nurse practitioners and support staff. Whilst in post Lee presented at the National Day Surgery conference in 2000 at York about this service and was published in the Nursing Standard in 2002.
Lee co-founded A & L Healthcare Consultancy in 2003 to provide clinical training & consultancy services primarily in Preoperative assessment and Advanced Skill-sets for Nurses. Their company has helped organisations to develop their clinical teams and expertise.
One of Lee's main passions is to promote preoperative assessment as a dynamic speciality and encourage staff to develop clinical expertise through training and mentorship.
In 2014 Lee co-authored National Training Standards and competencies on preoperative assessment in 2014 on behalf of the Preoperative Association. Lee now assists with the design and delivery of the Preoperative Association Competency-based training programme which is primarily aimed at Nurses and allied health professionals. He recently contributed to the new edition Pudners Surgical Nursing textbook on Preoperative Assessment and continues to facilitate clinical skills workshops at National Conference. Lee trains both nationally and internationally. He has been board member of the Preoperative Association since 2006.
Lee maintains some clinical practice as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Prescriber in Primary care.
Andrew Smith SEN RMN RGN MSc
Andrew’s nursing journey began in 1981, his experiences include a wide range of clinical and professional leadership, operational management, strategic and educational leadership role across primary and secondary healthcare, both within the UK and internationally.
Selected highlights of Andrew’s journey are offered below:
- The humbling and ongoing need to learn how to care for others.
- Experience of educational leadership and operational management for a number of UK NHS healthcare organisations.
- Skills in professional academic education supporting undergraduate nursing students on their journey to professional registration.
- Responsibility for a partnership programme between the NHS, universities and industry to design, develop and implement a range of clinical innovations regional and nationally within the UK.
- Experience in a leadership role to initially design, development and implementation the NHS Work Based Education Facilitator Network across the North West of England.
- Strategic and operational leadership role within the development of a multi-professional undergraduate and postgraduate educational academy located within a leading NHS teaching hospital.
- Credited with the development and implementation of Practice Development and Research Unit model in partnership with a local NHS hospital and university.
- Credited with the development and implementation of the Nursing Development Unit within a large NHS teaching hospital.
- Service development and operational responsibility for introducing new roles including Perioperative Specialist Practitioner, Surgical Practitioner and Associate Practitioner.
- Strategic and operational responsibility for professional leadership within a number of UK NHS healthcare organisations.
- Founding member of A & L Healthcare Training and Consultancy.