Healthcare Assistant in General Practice - Online Course
A very warm welcome to the Healthcare Assistant in General Practice course.This course equips the Healthcare Assistant to be effective in the GP Practice. It covers public health & health promotion, observations, NEWS 2 scoring, ECG Recording & check-list, Urinalysis, blood glucose, venepuncture recording, New Patient Check plus B12 & Flu Vaccination. Competencies are provided so the practitioner can work through these with their mentor to ensure skill acquisition.
The aim of this course is to provide Registered Practitioners the building blocks for safe and evidenced-based practice in the GP Practice. This course has two distinct but interrelated and interdependent elements. The first been the on-line learning resources that are to follow and secondly, a competency framework that needs to be completed in clinical practice. Both elements have a clear focus on high quality and safe clinical practice and are based on relevant evidence based clinical policies, guidelines and best practice.
The course content uses a variety of teaching methods to ensure that the lessons are interesting and relevant to clinical practice. You will find unique expert video presentations and relevant key resources. These learning material are essential in meeting the learning outcomes and for completing the competence framework.
The course is equivalent to 14 hours of online continuing personal development plus hours in clinical practice to develop competencies.
At the end of the on-line element of the course you will be asked to complete a quiz and an evaluation form. A certificate of completion will then be forwarded to you. You will then need to complete the competency framework with the support of a mentor/supervisor or competent colleagues within clinical practice. You are encourage to include both the certificate, learning outcomes and the completed competency framework within your professional portfolio and your work based appraisal process as evidence of your continuing professional development.
Watch our preview presentation below to find out how if all works!
- Understanding of the development of the HCA role in General Practice. Can explain the drivers, understands the process of delegation and the RCN first steps.
- Understands the importance of the specialised knowledge and skill-set required.
- An understanding how lifestyle can affect health and has a good understanding of the public agenda.
- Assessing baseline observations and understands when to report to the Registered Practitioner. Is able to calculate a NEWS 2 score
- Is able to perform basic wound care using an aseptic technique. Also has a good understanding of different wound dressings and their application.
- Able to record and ECG effectively so that the results can be interpreted easily.
- Understands how to apply a basic checklist to an ECG so that abnormalities can be reported to the Registered Practitioner.
- Can administer an B12 injection intramuscularly.
- Able to assist in a vaccination clinic and administered vaccinations once deemed competent by mentor.
- Be able to perform Venepuncture competently using the vacutainer system.
- Understands the components of a New Patient Check and can perform one and complete the appropriate template.
If you need more information about this course? - please contact us we will be very pleased to help.
"The hands on explanations, by someone who is obviously used to working within the healthcare environment makes it plausible, and 'real'... Thanks, I very much enjoyed this invaluable learning opportunity."
Louise, HCA GP Practice, Cheshire.