Preoperative Assessment Foundation - CPD Module
The aim of this CPD module is to provide Registered Practitioners with the building blocks for safe and evidenced-based practice in Preoperative Assessment. This module has three distinct but interrelated and interdependent elements. The first being two virtual teaching via our Zoom pro platform, then 3 months access to our online learning resources, followed by assessment of competencies practice. All three elements have a clear focus on high quality and safe clinical practice and are based on a sound evidence based, clinical policies, guidelines and best practice.
The CPD module utilises a variety of teaching methods to ensure that the lessons are interesting and relevant to practice. You will find unique expert video presentations and relevant key resources. These learning materials are essential in meeting the learning outcomes and for completing the competences in practice.
At the end of the online element of the course you will be asked to complete a quiz and an evaluation form. A certificate of completion will then be forwarded to you. You will then need to complete the competencies in practice with the support of a competent mentor/supervisor or colleagues.
The module is equivalent to a minimum of 21 hours CPD (14 virtual, 7 online) plus hours to complete competencies in practice.
You are encouraged to include both the certificate, learning outcomes and the completed competency framework within your professional portfolio and your work-based appraisal process as evidence of your continuing professional development.
Watch our preview presentation below to find out how if all works!
- Understanding of models & types of Preoperative Assessment.
- The importance of the specialised knowledge and skill-set required.
- An understanding how lifestyle can affect health and outcomes from anaesthesia & surgery. Understands the role of primary care with regard to the public health agenda.
- Gain up-to-date knowledge in Medicines Management and applying this in practice.
- Be able to take an objective Preoperative Assessment history.
- Assessing baseline observations and taking the appropriate action if required.
- Gain knowledge and skills in performing a Neck & Airway Assessment.
- Learn how to calculate a STOPBANG score and therefore manage patients with possible Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.
- Be able to apply National Guidance (if available) & the evolving evidence-base to the requesting of Preoperative Investigations.
- Have the ability to assess basic haematology and biochemistry results.
- Effectively "triage" ECGs by applying a check-list so that any gross abnormalities can be addressed by the medical team prior to admission.