Advanced Preoperative Assessment - CPD Module
A very warm welcome to the Advanced Preoperative Assessment CPD Module. The aim of this module is to provide Registered Practitioners who wish to advance their practice and become competent in the examination of the cardiovascular & respiratory systems. Also this lesson covers basic Spirometry so that Practitioners can differentiate between a normal, obstructive and restrictive patterns. Please be aware we are not trying to make you into cardiologists or respiratory physicians so the skill-sets are a little more basic. However the knowledge gained will be enough so that you can make effective clinical decisions so that patient safety and best outcomes can be achieved.
This course has three distinct but interrelated and interdependent elements. The first being the virtual teaching day. Secondly, 3 month access to online learning resources and finally competencies that needs to be completed in practice. Collectively these 3 elements have a clear focus high quality and safe clinical practice and are based on relevant evidence based clinical policies, guidelines and best practice.
The course content uses a variety of teaching methods to ensure that the lessons are interesting and relevant to clinical practice. You will find unique expert live/video presentations plus relevant key resources. These learning materials are essential in meeting the learning outcomes and for completing the competence framework.
The module is equivalent to a minimum of 11 hours CPD (7 virtual, 4 online) plus hours to complete competencies in practice.
At the end of the online element of the course you will be asked to complete a quiz and an evaluation form. A certificate of completion will then be forwarded to you. You will then need to complete the competency framework with the support of a mentor/supervisor or competent colleagues within clinical practice. You are encourage to include both the certificate, learning outcomes and the completed competency framework within your professional portfolio and your work based appraisal process as evidence of your continuing professional development.
- Understanding of the process of the Cardiovascular assessment i.e. Inspection & Auscultation
- Can recognise a heart murmur from audio initially and then an actual patients in practice with the guidance of their mentor.
- Can differentiate between 2 heart sounds and 3 sounds on audio.
- Gain an understanding of the process of Respiratory Assessment i.e. Inspection, Palpation & Auscultation
- Can recognise normal sounds from abnormal sounds i.e. crepitations, wheeze, rhonchi etc .
- An understanding of when it might be appropriate to request/perform spirometry.
- An understanding of the new regulations that are coming into place in 2021.
- Can differentiate between a normal result, obstructive & restrictive by assessing numbers, time volume curves and flow volume loops.