Our Preoperative Assessment Courses can include aspects of our foundation course or the advanced course. Some clients combine both so you can effectively customised your own training programme with associated competencies to best meet your staff needs. Our have programmes are from 1-5 days depending on depth required and whether it is an update/refresher.
Course facilitated by Lee Wadsworth who is internationally recognised as a specialist clinical trainer in this exciting area.
FOUNDATION COURSE IN PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT
Our foundation course provides a good introduction to Preoperative Assessment for qualified Nurses, ODPs & Assistant Practitioner/Associate Nurses but also serves as an update for more experience staff. Learners can choose to complete the Advanced Preoperative Assessment skills course on completion.
- Understanding of models & types of Preoperative Assessment.
- The importance of the specialised knowledge and skill-set required.
- An understanding how lifestyle can affect health and outcomes from anaesthesia & surgery.
- Understands the role of primary care with regard to the public health agenda.
- Gain up-to-date knowledge in Medicines Management and applying this in practice.
- Be able to take an objective Preoperative Assessment history.
- Assessing baseline observations and taking the appropriate action if required.
- Gain knowledge and skills in performing a Neck & Airway Assessment.
- Learn how to calculate a STOPBANG score and therefore manage patients with possible Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.
- Be able to apply National Guidance (if available) & the evolving evidence-base to the requesting of Preoperative Investigations.
- Have the ability to assess basic haematology and biochemistry results.
- Effectively "triage" ECGs by applying a check-list so that any gross abnormalities can be addressed by the medical team prior to admission.
ADVANCED PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT COURSE
This is adjunct to the foundation course and covers the skills of heart & lung assessment plus Spirometry. Suitable for Registered Practitioners who wish to utilise these
- Understanding of the process of the Cardiovascular assessment i.e. Inspection & Auscultation.
- Can recognise a heart murmur from audio initially and then an actual patients in practice with the guidance of their mentor.
- Can differentiate between 2 heart sounds and 3 sounds on audio.
- Gain an understanding of the process of Respiratory Assessment i.e. Inspection, Palpation & Auscultation.
- Can recognise normal sounds from abnormal sounds i.e. crepitations, wheeze, rhonchi etc .
- An understanding of when it might be appropriate to request/perform spirometry.
- An understanding of the new regulations that are coming into place in 2021.
- Can differentiate between a normal result, obstructive & restrictive by assessing numbers, time volume curves and flow volume loops in their Preoperative Assessment practice.
Prices reflect number of attendees, course equipment/materials needed, travel and accommodation as required. Please contact us for more information.
Lee & Andy
If you would like to make an enquiry about our Preoperative Assessment courses, please message us below or ring on (+44) 07789 792599